Saturday, May 15, 2010

So Many Bananas

Alright, let's see how fast I can do this. Lunch is almost ready and monopoly is going on without me.

We did language learning today, so when I come home I'll be fully fluent in orunya kore....kind of. There are so many "n"s in this language it's not even funny. Everything I learned is already falling out of my head.

We also finished orientation and signed up for job assigments yesterday, which makes me ridiculously excited. Not only will I be doing some things at the school, I may get to go to the hospital to play with kids, work in the youth group, take part in a omens bible study, and maybe teach piano to some missionary kids. Along with language learning and reading five books and yada yada yada.

Yesterday we also went to the market. Very intimidating. The biggest impression left on me: a man lying facedown in the mud with his pants half off. At first I thought he was dead. I'll get used to this place...eventually.

Most interesting sight so far: the truck on the road in front of us had half a car in its trunk. Not only did it have this, but there were at least six men back there with it, one of whom was sitting in the front seat of the half-car, reading a newspaper. Then, of course, we were a car of mzungus following it, therfore everyone and their mother turned to look at the sight going down the road. It was basically an African circus parade.

However, it is normal to see a man riding down the road on a bike with ten banana bunches hanging off the sides--and banana bunches aren't small.

The puppies here are cuter than puppies at home

I'm adapting slowly, but it's coming. Sometimes I absolutely feel like I'm on an alien planet, and sometimes it feels just like home. I'm really glad, however, that there are nine children on our compound. Though it may take me a while to get used to being around Ugandans in general, my heart is already captured by the children.

Mukama Asiimwe = Praise the Lord, or something along those lines. The reply is Asiimwe Mononga. Or something along those lines.

I may go practice some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment